Monday 28 January 2013

New Technique: Sugar Spun Manicure

Ok, so this wasn't a total disaster!  Yay :)  I really did think it was going to be...especially when 10 minutes in my polish just wasn't doing the strandy thing.

But anyway, here's the finished manicure!  Quite a cute manicure for Valentine's Day maybe?

sugar-spun-manicure-heart

I used Barry M Matt White, did my strandy business with OPI Flick Chick Cherry, and then added the heart with Barry M Bright Pink.

I did my ring finger first (I figured if it was horribly difficult I could just leave it at a ring finger accent), and you can see I hadn't quite waited long enough.  When I started it was just about making strands long enough to cover half the width of my nail, if I was super quick.  When I moved on to the next nail I was getting really long, fine strands.  Like thinner than hair.  This is what you want!  I just whizzed it back and fore across my nails :)  It honestly took about 20 minutes to get to that consistency though.  I don't know if that would've been affected by the fact that it's an old polish and full of all those nasty chemicals they don't use any more.

My thumb does not feature in this photo because...er...it didn't quite work out.  This is what happens if you leave the polish too long.


It looks like I had a horrible accident whilst chopping the vegetables for tea.

Anyhoo, you can now head over to my Facebook page to vote for which new technique you'd like me to have a go at next week!

If you have any suggestions for techniques, please leave me a comment and I'll add it to my list :)

Have you had a go at the sugar spun technique?  Or are you like me and shy away from trying new (and messy) things?


12 comments:

  1. this looks brilliant and lovely for valentines day! it made me laugh when i read that it looked like you had an accident when chopping veg! i've never tried this technique but i think i might give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lolly :) Just remember to be patient lol.

      Delete
  2. This looks great; I have to admit I have been shy of trying messy techniques, I just don't have a huge amount of time for clean up, but after seeing this post, I'm going to try spun sugar soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend avoiding colours that can be a bit of a pain to clean up (like blue...blue is evil). I suppose you could tape or vaseline your fingers like people do for water marbling though? And thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. awesome awesome awesome design :x

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable! i love the look of these, but the one time i tried it, it was just a huge disaster. so kudos to you and anyone else who can pull this technique off! it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! It did really test my patience... I ended up just sitting watching TV and blowing on the polish to try to get it to dry enough.

      Delete
  5. "It looks like I had a horrible accident whilst chopping the vegetables for tea" LOL!!! Very beautiful mani!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good! I've wanted to try this for a while now, but I just feel like it'd turn out to be a massive fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go - if it's a disaster then just destroy all evidence and pretend it never happened :p

      Delete